Friday, March 19, 2010

MORE sausages!

Boerewors
1.5 kg beef
1.5 kg pork
500g bacon, diced
25ml salt
5ml ground pepper
2ml fresh grated nutmeg
2ml ground thyme
2ml ground allspice
125ml red wine vinegar
50ml ground coriander
1ml ground cloves
1 clove garlic, crushed
50ml Worcestershire
85g sausage casings
This is a South African Recipe, I have no idea if it is still an authentic recipe, but I thought it might be a good "template" for a spiced sausage. We used 3kg beef, no pork. Used less coriander, but more thyme. When making these they smelt divine, even the butcher commented. Mum isn't keen on the taste of them, plus they are a little dry, that is something I am hoping to rectify next time. I would make these again.

Meatloaf
yes, I made sausages from a meatloaf recipe, so shoot me!
1 lb beef
1/4 lb diced bacon
1 cup rolled oats(I usually "zub" them in the food processor to break them down a bit)
1 egg
1/4 chopped onion
1 cup cooked, drained tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 t mixed mustard
Omit egg for sausages, retain juice from drained tomatoes, in case you need to thin out the sausage mixture. I DO use canned tomatoes. The family seems to like this batch, they retain a bit more moisture once cooked. We have given some to the woodman, still awaiting reviews.

To make meatloaf, if my memory serves me correctly, mix it all together and bake in a moderate oven. This got me rave reviews when in America, even fussy eaters ate it, very highly recommended.


I am more than interested to hear other recipes, or cooking ideas that you, your family or friends use, not just for sausages, I am a recipe collecter... if you're lucky I might share some of my great grandmothers secret recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment